POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : Weird Loop Behavior : Re: Weird Loop Behavior Server Time
25 Apr 2024 05:45:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Weird Loop Behavior
From: jr
Date: 13 Jul 2022 04:35:00
Message: <web.62ce82a2a05c0a6d1be3cd4b6cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

"Dave Blandston" <IsN### [at] protonmailch> wrote:
> I've attached a file to demonstrate the issue more clearly. The #if ()
> conditional with the comment "//Why is this test necessary?" can be commented
> out for comparison purposes.

afaict the conditional is needed only for 3.7.x, the 3.8.0-beta.2 works without.

question re code - NSuccesses only gets updated after all prisoners have looked
at their boxes?  wondering, ought that not be something like:

  #if (!MatchFound)  // fail
    #break
  #else
    // add to NSuccesses
  #end

also re the "Dummy" making a difference, have looked for, but cannot find, a
link to a story I read a few years ago; in a Californian chip foundry they used
an AI to optimise a chip design, and that (then, too) had a single unconnected
diode in the layout which, when removed, stopped everything working, no
explanation was given :-).

regards, jr.