POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Patterned Textures and Turbulence : Re: Patterned Textures and Turbulence Server Time
25 Apr 2024 04:15:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Patterned Textures and Turbulence
From: Chris R
Date: 12 May 2022 10:40:00
Message: <web.627d1c0c962984031441ea85cc1b6e@news.povray.org>
"Chris R" <car### [at] comcastnet> wrote:

> > > You can apply your turbulence with a negative value :
> > >
> > > warp{turbulence -1} should undo warp{turbulence 1}
> >
> > Ah, thanks.  I should have thought to try that.  I was concerned about how that
> > would affect lambda and omega, but if I understand turbulence correctly, those
> > act more like multipliers on the turbulence value and should thus be negated if
> > turbulence is negative as well.
> >
> > -- Chris R.
>
> So, I tried this and it doesn't seem to work.  The picture below shows an
> example of an object with a gradient x texture_map with leopard and bricks as
> the sub-textures.  The middle picture applies a turbulence just to the gradient
> pattern.  The 3rd picture applies a negative turbulence to each of the
> sub-textures first.
>

> -- Chris R.

Just another short observation:

warp { turbulence 1 }
warp { turbulence -1 }

applied to a texture does not result in a non-turbulated texture.  I believe the
issue is that amount of turbulence applied to a point is dependent on the point
itself.  Once you apply the turbulence, and then attempt to apply turbulence
again, you are getting the turbulence from a new point, which will not be the
same as the original point.

-- Chris R.