POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : using 'object pattern' as media : Re: using 'object pattern' as media Server Time
23 Apr 2024 08:16:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: using 'object pattern' as media
From: Kenneth
Date: 30 Apr 2022 17:25:00
Message: <web.626da6deac9c0ae18d86850a6e066e29@news.povray.org>
This object-pattern/media technique has another interesting use, a practical
one: It can show where a mesh or mesh2 object has any 'holes' in it (i.e., not a
completely 'closed' mesh.)

I used the mesh2 Bunny model again to show this effect. I removed my intersected
box object that I applied to seal up its few holes on the bottom, then rotated
the model to better show what happens.

The direction of the 'extra' media sticking out from the bottom is oriented
along the inside_vector that I chose, <1,1,1>. The faint sphere is my overall
media container.

I used scattering media here, but emission media performs just as well, and
renders much faster.

In effect, the object pattern can be thought of as a 'leaking-gas detector' ;-)

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'object_pattern_as_mesh_hole_detector.jpg' (29 KB)

Preview of image 'object_pattern_as_mesh_hole_detector.jpg'
object_pattern_as_mesh_hole_detector.jpg