POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Lighting Artifacts Help ? : Re: Lighting Artifacts Help ? Server Time
24 Apr 2024 10:50:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lighting Artifacts Help ?
From: Kenneth
Date: 20 Jan 2022 06:55:00
Message: <web.61e94ce7884f25c24cef624e6e066e29@news.povray.org>
Alain Martel <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> > Hmm - I tried to post my POV file as a zipped attachment - I selected it
> > but it doesn't appear to upload it anywhere. Did same on this message.
>
> Attachments are not allowed in this group. You can only have attachments
> in the groups that have .binaries. in their names.
> For scene files as zip files, you want to use povray.binaries.scene-files
> For shorter scene files, you can use povray.text.scene-files
> For images, you want to use povray.binaries.images

Actually, any attachments do show up here in the web-portal version of the
newsgroups, which is what I use. Scott's file attachment showed up as
Attachments:
Download 'pov9.zip' (562 KB)

This is relatively new behavior (maybe within the last two years?) I think the
idea was instituted as a way to keep various 'different' assets of a post 'all
in one place', rather than scattered among the various binaries' groups. This
makes it easy to post an image as a *reply* to, say, a question in the 'general'
category, if the image can help explain something there. (And the image will
still show up in the 'images digest'.)

But I guess that this change only affected the web portal version(?). That
obviously presents a problem for non-web-portal users, who will not see the
attachment. I didn't know this until now.

Of course, if I am just posting an image for comments, I'll definitely use the
binaries.images group. Or a scene text file in *its* appropriate group. Etc.