POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Grumpy Old Man! : Re: Grumpy Old Man! Server Time
20 Apr 2024 03:30:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Grumpy Old Man!
From: Kenneth
Date: 21 Nov 2021 17:35:00
Message: <web.619ac817ab07824c4cef624e6e066e29@news.povray.org>
For me, 'x-z' and similar specifications are the only sure way whereby I can
visualize what is meant. They give me an unambiguous mental picture of the plane
in question, as they are clear descriptors of the two dimensions or directions
that the plane lies in.

Here's where *I* have trouble:

When I read something like "...and place all of
your objects along the z-plane", I actually DO have a clear image of what is
meant (disregarding the *distance from the origin* that might be inferred-- I
would automatically assume a distance of zero.) The z-plane is 'horizontal and
vertical' facing the camera. No problem!

I have *sort of* a similar mental image of the 'y-plane'-- although it starts
getting muddy in my mind as to why it isn't exactly like the 'z-plane'(!). I
always have to think hard about it before it becomes clear :-(  Like, "Is it
horizontal or vertical? And which 'direction' is its surface facing?" I have an
even worse problem with a simple 'x-plane' specification!

Maybe my own difficulty has to do with the fact that the CAMERA usually faces
+z-- so seeing a simple 'z-plane' description seems obvious to me, whereas the
others do not.