POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I'm not sleeping... : Re: I'm not sleeping... Server Time
29 Mar 2024 07:00:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I'm not sleeping...
From: BayashiPascal
Date: 19 Nov 2021 01:50:00
Message: <web.619748b55f89fb5cc7449d78e0f8c582@news.povray.org>
> No, not the Counting Crows song.
>
> Primary laptop has spazzed out - linux mint logo appears, then I get a blinking
> cursor (underscore) and that's the extent of my OS for the time being.  HDD's
> not dead - I can boot up with a USB stick and access all the files.
> I think it has something to do with video...  but not sure how to fix it and get
> back to a default state.
>
> My backup laptop (this) boots up fine, but frequently I find it as an
> unresponsive black screen in the morning, and have to reboot.
>
> So, those are (some of) the challenges I'm experiencing right now.

Have you tried to switch to another virtual console when you're stuck on the
blank screen with the blinking cursor? You can do so using Ctrl + Alt + (any of
the function keys). I sometime experience the case where the X session starts
running in its console and the text console used for booting keeps the hand.
Simply switching the console bring me back to normal. At least you may have
another text console still alive, which would leave you the opportunity for
troubleshooting.
Hoping it may help you.
Pascal