POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Fluorapophyllite-(K) : Re: Fluorapophyllite-(K) Server Time
25 Apr 2024 03:41:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fluorapophyllite-(K)
From: Kenneth
Date: 1 Nov 2021 07:30:00
Message: <web.617fcecc4f1e127b4cef624e6e066e29@news.povray.org>

> I am not yet sure about those 'media voids'... I shall have to think about that.

Yeah, I probably spoke too soon-- such voids would not produce the same visual
effect as your own method of creating voids with actual geometry.

> The only media used here
> is an absorbing media which takes care of it all (with the ior too of
> course). I experimented with the scattering media in addition to the
> absorbing one, because Jaime did something like that in his crystal
> experiments.
>
> http://www.ignorancia.org/index.php/galleries/latest-images/crystals-and-mushrooms/
>
> However, I did not find it to work as expected.

Also, it occurred to me that any fractures or cleavage planes in a crystal would
need to have some partial reflectivity (if I understand the concept of such
planes). Thin slices of interior media certainly cannot do that. :-(

BTW, thanks for the link to Jaime's crystals; I will take a look at his examples
and code.