POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : Filed() macro for CSV data file handling : Re: Filed() macro for CSV data file handling Server Time
28 Mar 2024 19:54:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Filed() macro for CSV data file handling
From: jr
Date: 26 Oct 2021 10:00:00
Message: <web.6178093720122b7c527292826cde94f1@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > attached include file provides a macro for reading and writing the POV-Ray
> > variant of CSV data files.  the use is documented in a HTML page, and a few
> > demo/example scenes.
>
> version 2.  includes the various improvements to documentation and demo code
> suggested by WFP (thanks!).

after running some tests with larger files, I have added the following paragraph
to the HTML page:

"using the Filed() macro comes at a run-time cost, alas.  for data sets of
hundreds, or low thousands, of records, the time taken is unnoticeable, though
if there are hundreds of thousands or more, it may (in an animation, perhaps)
become enough of an issue to consider sticking with the #read and #write
directives."

with 100k sphere centre and radius records for instance, POV-Ray needs around
one second for the writing and the same for the read back.  Filed() comes in at
around eight seconds write and ten seconds read.

regards, jr.