POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : filter transmit only with 256 color depth : filter transmit only with 256 color depth Server Time
24 Apr 2024 00:41:53 EDT (-0400)
  filter transmit only with 256 color depth
From: Adam C
Date: 19 Oct 2021 19:55:00
Message: <web.616f59c6a1e24bda615b33939ea097e3@news.povray.org>
I'm simulating a color film transparency laid upon a surface or another
transparency. Image maps with ambient <1.0 1.0 1.0>, viewed from overhead.

So I have been struggling with poor results from "filter all 1.0" and "transmit
all 1.0" after my pigment image_map of jpg or png with or without alpha channel.

Today I find, " .. can only apply filter or transmit to 8 bit 256 color palleted
images ..", as per this link on the wiki;

https://wiki.povray.org/contentDocumentation:Tutorial_Section_4.1#When_I_use_filter_or_transmit_with_my_.tga_image_map_
nothing_happens.

Looking through the Documentation, I find its also referred to here;
http://www.povray.org/documentation/3.7.0/r3_4.html#r3_4_6_3_2

Thank you, folks. I'll switch to GIF as the intermediary for my transparency,
after scratching my head for several days. There were some interesting results
on the way, but generally too dark black or too opaque white preventing the
scene underneath from being visible.