POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : res.ini only a feature for povray in Windows? : Re: res.ini only a feature for povray in Windows? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 11:47:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: res.ini only a feature for povray in Windows?
From: Kenneth
Date: 27 Sep 2021 02:40:00
Message: <web.615166daffffcfe74cef624e6e066e29@news.povray.org>
"The Traveler" <jho### [at] northrimnet> wrote:

> From section 2.2.8.2 I have a simple res.ini file with these settings (copied
> from the verbatim manual):
>
> ; RES.INI
>   ; This sample INI file is used to set resolution.
>   +W120 +H100  ; This section has no label.
>                ; Select it with "RES"
>   [Low]
>   +W80 +H60    ; This section has a label.
>                ; Select it with "RES[Low]"

I'm running v3.8.0 beta 1 in Windows, so I don't know if any of the following is
useful...

I can't get the doc's suggested version of anything like RES[Low] to work; I've
tried various iterations of that syntax. (The typical resolution .ini file for
Windows versions is called  quickres.ini-- but I couldn't use that name as-is
because POV-ray barks a fatal warning, something like "expecting a value after Q
switch, uickres  is invalid entry". So I renamed a copy as RESTEMP, but still no
luck, with or without something like [Low] added from my .ini file-- mine would
be like [320x240])

The syntax that *does* work on my own command line is like the following
(running one of POV-ray's included sample scenes called  lathe1a.pov , for
example), and only after closing out ALL of my open scenes:

+IC:\Users\Kenneth\Documents\POV-Ray\v3.8-beta\scenes\objects\lathe1a +w400
+h200

or with quotes...
+I"C:\Users\Kenneth\Documents\POV-Ray\v3.8-beta\scenes\objects\lathe1a" +w400
+h200

I had to use the complete library path, and the render-size switches. Note the
use of +I  (i) not +L in my successful tests-- the docs say +L is for library
paths, but when I use it instead, it *sometimes* throws a fatal error, "This is
not a valid command line"... but at other times (like with a fresh re-boot of my
machine!), it actually works but renders an image of a previously-run scene
file, NOT  lathe1a.pov.  :-\

The doc's example of simply
        povray +Isimple.pov +V +W80 +H60
(with  lathe1a.pov substituted) doesn't work-- "This is not a valid command
line"

And I could not get a version of this one to work either-- fatal error:
           povray res[Med] +Imyfile.pov
I *think* both attempts  are  choking on "povray"-- but no luck even without
that.

----
However, the following example-- or something *very* similar  to it-- worked at
least once for me... but now I can't reproduce it! (I think something got set or
reset somewhere in POV-ray's basic files while I was messing with the command
line, or while opening/closing scene files):

RESTEMP[320X240]
+IC:\Users\Kenneth\Documents\POV-Ray\v3.8-beta\scenes\objects\lathe1a.pov

But it ignored the particular [...]  block I used and instead picked the 'bare'
entry that I added to my RESTEMP.ini file as a test (like the doc's example),
+w80 +h60
----

It's very possible that I'm simply using bad syntax; I'm no expert with the
command line, as I rarely use it...and I'm guessing that there are differences
between its usage in Windows vs Linux.