POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Luna, Moon... desert satellite : Re: Luna, Moon... desert satellite Server Time
19 Apr 2024 08:16:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Luna, Moon... desert satellite
From: Samuel B
Date: 15 Sep 2021 18:15:00
Message: <web.61426f57756c3d5acb705ca46e741498@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> "Samuel B." <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > But it's not close enough, since a dedicated individual would eventually observe
> > how the craters don't cast proper shadows near the terminator :/
> >

> I'm still trying to spot those flaws, but I don't see them :-/

The issue of the craters not casting shadows is just that: if the object was
using actual displaced geometry you would see shadows cast across the basins on
the craters. But all you get on a simple bump-mapped sphere is shading... No
displacement of geometry, no shadows. It's not really a big issue at smaller
resolutions, but I think it is noticeable.

The other features I was talking about are something else. I'll highlight them
in a reply to Thomas.

Sam