POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Radiosity and reflective glass : Re: Radiosity and reflective glass Server Time
19 Apr 2024 19:02:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity and reflective glass
From: Chris R
Date: 14 Sep 2021 10:25:00
Message: <web.6140afd575c5f9258b0d9fdd5cc1b6e@news.povray.org>
"Chris R" <car### [at] comcastnet> wrote:
> I have been working on a scene modeling the bar and glassware cabinet in the
> corner of my living room.  When testing the addition of new elements to this
> scene I render it at various anti-alias levels with radiosity turned off, and
> I'm pretty happy with it.
>
> When I turn radiosity on (using Rad_Settings(Radiosity_IndoorLQ, off, off)), I
> get all of these extra highlight spots on the curtains, the rug, and the frames
> around the window.  I verified that if I leave the glasses out of the cabinet,
> those highlights disappear, so I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the
> reflective glass surfaces interacting with radiosity.
>
> The problem is that I'm not sure how to fix this.  The typical finish on the
> glassware is something like this:
>
>         finish {
>             specular albedo 0.05
>             roughness 0.0005
>             reflection {
>                 0.1
>                 fresnel
>             }
>             conserve_energy
>         }
>
> and the interior:
>
>     interior {
>         ior 1.6
>         caustics 1.0
>         fade_distance 2*Hurricane_glass_base_radius
>         fade_power 1001
>     }
>
> There is a sun-based light-source outside of the room, but it is positioned such
> that it is probably not adding any highlights to the scene.  The lamp on the bar
> itself is very low power, but does have an emission value in the finish of the
> lampshade.  The main light source is a cluster of 4 bulbs, each modeled as a 2x2
> area light behind, above, and to the left of the camera.
>
> Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong that is causing these to appear?  No
> matter how bright a light I add to the actual room, I do not see these
> highlights on the curtains or the rug.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -- Chris R.

My apologies, I mixed up the various experiments I had done and was rerunning to
try some other things out and discovered that it doesn't matter if I include the
glasses in the hutch or not.  In both cases I get the extra highlights on the
curtains.  So, it is either something else on the bar, or its something with the
main light source in the room.

-- Chris R.