POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : using POV-Ray as 3D renderer for Python scripts : Re: using POV-Ray as 3D renderer for Python scripts Server Time
24 Apr 2024 21:49:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: using POV-Ray as 3D renderer for Python scripts
From: BayashiPascal
Date: 12 Sep 2021 23:40:00
Message: <web.613ec75fb1b48eb0c7449d78e0f8c582@news.povray.org>
"Florin Andrei" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> I'm not happy with what I've seen so far in terms of rendering 3D graphs in
> Python. I want to be able to draw many points in 3D, each with its own
> coordinates and other attributes such as size and color, and render the scene
> with optional dynamic parameters (such as rotating it around some axis).
>
> But that would mean POV-Ray would have to take a scene file with thousands of
> small objects (the dots), each point being a small opaque sphere. The file will
> be machine-generated and fairly large. Should I be concerned with the
> performance of the renderer?
>
> The scene will otherwise be simple - I will draw a system of coordinates, and
> optionally grids of coordinates. I'm not planning on using textures.

I'm sometime using POV-Ray as you're describing and I'm satisfied with the
results. However it completely depends on your particular project. What machine
do you use for rendering, what time do you expect for rendering, how many frames
in your animation, how many objects and which rendering parameters, etc...
A short animation with basic rendering parameters and few thousands of sphere,
on a modern computer, doesn't look to me as a big deal.

Pascal