POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Granite_21 - the final macro : Re: Granite_21 - the final macro Server Time
29 Mar 2024 08:41:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Granite_21 - the final macro
From: Samuel B
Date: 11 Sep 2021 18:15:00
Message: <web.613d2932b21f010ccb705ca46e741498@news.povray.org>
> Generally, it doesn't need to be too sharp (or it looses its sharpness pretty
> soon anyway).

That's probably exactly how it should be, since tools that keep an edge are
generally very brittle... a property you might not want in hammer ;)

> Not sure but I guess areas on the fringes/just ouside of the granite
> outcrops would be more promising, and the metamorph, ancient sedimentary
> rocks?

You would be right, since those have always been the most interesting spots,
ime. Once in Fresno county, we found some marble. I've never seen marble with
such large grains. Right next to that we found garnet clusters (grossular,
probably). And then we began finding epidote, more garnets, and very beautiful
smokey quartz near some mines.

In the lower elevations of this general area, almost everything is hydrothermal
and metapmorphic. You'll find shale with fossils, slate a ways off from the
shale, quartz veins running through both, soapstone in one area and serpentine
(an altered form of soapstone iirc) in another. Pyrite, gold, even pure sulphur
in some places. It's crazy.

And there's an area near a river which I suspect might be harboring corundum. In
that place you can find marble outcrops above an area with granite pegmatite (I
might have found a green beryl there as a kid but it's been lost). Since I
figured corundum is sometimes found in marble, and considering the prevalence of
aluminum in the area (micas, soap stone, etc.), I thought that maybe rubies and
whatnot could be possible as well.

Sam