POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Luna, Moon... desert satellite : Re: Luna, Moon... desert satellite Server Time
19 Apr 2024 01:36:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Luna, Moon... desert satellite
From: Kenneth
Date: 11 Sep 2021 07:55:00
Message: <web.613c986c756c3d5a4cef624e6e066e29@news.povray.org>
"Samuel B." <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just testing out some moon maps. Thanks to some semi-recent surveys, we've now
> got both albedo and height maps to work with.
>
> You can find the moon maps here: https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/4720 (FYI: only the
> "uint" versions of the displacement maps seem to work with POV-Ray.)

Hi Sam, it's great to see you posting on the newsgroups again.

That's a beautiful image-- especially with the added Earth glow, as Thomas
mentioned.

So the 'unsigned 16-bit' file is the displacement map you used (with its
apparent 8-bit precision, and some reversed normals!); thanks for the info.

Have you tried placing a 2nd Sun light_source on the other side of the Moon, to
see what happens with the normals in the normally 'shadowed' half?

It's interesting that the website's description of the color map says it was
made with a gamma of 2.8; do you have any idea why that would be so (rather
than, say, 2.2)?