POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Beach Scene : Re: Beach Scene Server Time
24 Apr 2024 12:54:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beach Scene
From: Chris R
Date: 22 Jul 2021 15:15:00
Message: <web.60f9c32b115c8a23a22635af5cc1b6e@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> "Chris R" <car### [at] comcastnet> wrote:
> > Paolo Gibellini <p.g### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>

> > > A very nice season scene!
> > > Perhaps the white in the wood texture is a bit too shiny, when the paint
> > > get aged it get more shabby.
> > >
> > > Paolo
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestion.  The white part of the texture has a pretty low
> > specular, (0.1), but maybe because the sun is so bright even that is too high.
> > I'll play around with it.
>
> I really like those weathered boards; the 'white parts' look about right to me.
> I likewise think that, even if they happened to be intrinsically gray, the very
> bright sunlight would *probably* make them look white instead, to our eyes.
> Nicely done!
>
> The slight area-light of the sunlight is another very nice and subtle touch...
> not too much, not too little.
>
> The noise-like look on the tar shingles is another nice detail. Is that from
> using simple crand? Or does it come from the choice of texture colors and scale?
> I would assume that antialiasing would mostly eliminate any crand, if used.

The texture uses granite and there is crand in the finish, but the variability
probably comes more from creating the shingles as isosurfaces and adding f_bumps
and f_snoise3d at different scales to the edges of the box.  Each shingle is an
individual object and is separately textured, so the textures get randomly
translated as well.

-- Chris R.