POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Beach Scene : Re: Beach Scene Server Time
29 Mar 2024 01:55:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beach Scene
From: Kenneth
Date: 22 Jul 2021 11:25:00
Message: <web.60f98cc1115c8a234cef624e6e066e29@news.povray.org>
"Chris R" <car### [at] comcastnet> wrote:
> Paolo Gibellini <p.g### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> > A very nice season scene!
> > Perhaps the white in the wood texture is a bit too shiny, when the paint
> > get aged it get more shabby.
> >
> > Paolo
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.  The white part of the texture has a pretty low
> specular, (0.1), but maybe because the sun is so bright even that is too high.
> I'll play around with it.

I really like those weathered boards; the 'white parts' look about right to me.
I likewise think that, even if they happened to be intrinsically gray, the very
bright sunlight would *probably* make them look white instead, to our eyes.
Nicely done!

The slight area-light of the sunlight is another very nice and subtle touch...
not too much, not too little.

The noise-like look on the tar shingles is another nice detail. Is that from
using simple crand? Or does it come from the choice of texture colors and scale?
I would assume that antialiasing would mostly eliminate any crand, if used.