POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Beach Scene : Re: Beach Scene Server Time
28 Mar 2024 18:10:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beach Scene
From: BayashiPascal
Date: 17 Jul 2021 05:20:00
Message: <web.60f29fb0115c8a23a3e088d5e0f8c582@news.povray.org>
"Chris R" <car### [at] comcastnet> wrote:
> I have been working on this for a few weeks and am about ready to move on, so I
> thought I'd share it with the community.  The comments I receive usually end up
> in future projects.
>
> This is based on a photo of the back side of a row of colorful beach huts.  In
> the original, all of the huts looked like they had been freshly sided and
> painted, which wasn't terribly interesting to me, so I decided to age them quite
> a bit so I could continue working on my raw-wood textures and aging paint
> textures.
>
> The shingles were another new area for me to play with.  I have done tiled roofs
> before, but this is my first attempt at a tar-shingled roof.
>
> The foundation posts have a layer of sand on the lee-side; you can sort of see
> it in this view.  I have other test views with closeups that look pretty good as
> well.
>
> I'm pretty happy with the sandy beach and the random stones.  I thought about
> adding some seashells to the mix, but haven't done that yet.
>
> Thanks ahead of time for any comments and suggestions for improvements.
>
> -- Chris R

It's nice, it reminds me of the beach near my hometown.
I particularly like the weathered texture of the huts.
Maybe some of those seagulls would be an appropriate addition to your scene:
https://hof.povray.org/4b.html
I find the sand a bit too white, but I know there are variety of colours around
the world. And I agree with Thomas about the pebbles, they look somehow
unnaturally placed. I also did a beach a long time ago, the surface was a
procedurally generated mesh and I was very happy with the result. If you'd like
to have a look: http://www.bayashiinjapan.net/Free/Images/Culture/plage.big.jpg

Pascal