POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Random POV-Ray 4 SDL proposal, #1 : Re: Random POV-Ray 4 SDL proposal, #1 Server Time
19 Apr 2024 19:00:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random POV-Ray 4 SDL proposal, #1
From: Mr
Date: 13 Jul 2021 06:10:00
Message: <web.60ed654f2ab8183e16086ed03f378f2@news.povray.org>
> Am 12.07.2021 um 15:01 schrieb Mr:
>
> > So my question to the experts is, could end of line statement still be
> > compatible with the proposed json paradigm / standard ? maybe in the worse case,
> > breaking away from the standard but by chosing a subset of it... or whatever
> > shift...?
>
> One of the key features of the proposed language would be that any valid
> JSON file would automatically qualify as valid POV-Ray SDL file
> (provided the "document object model", aka "schema", matches, i.e. the
> hierarchy of how and what stuff is nested where).
>
> Allowing for line endings to terminate statements might break that
> compatibility, because the JSON standard allows line endings anywhere it
> allows for whitespace.
>

> I used JSON as a starting point for the proposed SDL format not only to
> start _somewhere_ but specifically because being 100% compatible with
> JSON would have the advantage that there are tools and libraries galore
> out there to generate that format.
>
> JSON is one of just a handful of probably the top most popular formats
> for storage and exhange of structured data:
>
> - XML
> - JSON
> - YAML
>
> XML is painfully verbose, and therefore not an option. YAML is very
> concise, but assigns semantics not only to line endings but also to
> indentation, and that is something I'm anything but a fan of.
[...]

Thanks a lot for this answer clarifying the stakes, Now I'll feel more at peace
when POV4 will keep its tolerant and meaningless line endings behaviour .

I would also hate it to be like xml compared to the other two options. So I
looked here https://levelup.gitconnected.com/json-vs-yaml-6aa0243aefc6

Coming from Python I know that my apriori not (yet) feeling the same about this
is probably thus biased, but could you please also develop more about why as a
user you would prefer an abundant punctuation over a meaningful indentation
system ?