POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : gamma issues 3.8 : Re: gamma issues 3.8 Server Time
23 Apr 2024 04:13:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: gamma issues 3.8
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 17 Jun 2021 06:20:00
Message: <web.60cb21b7490c1b141f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>

> If you're talking about the list of scenes, that's just the miracle of
> Unix command-line tools (on a Windows machine no less) to get a raw
> list, and a text editor with good find/replace to bring it into the
> GitHub Markdown format.

And lots and lots of practice and experience.

> The real work only starts from there: What do we even _do_ with this list?

Oh how right you are.

> Me, personally, I would LOVE to see consistent formatting throughout all
> the sample scenes. Preferably MY own favorite style of course. (The
> style used in the "Insert Menu" sample snippets, for instance, is an
> abomination. No offense, Friedrich.)

Yes, I've been through those - but on the flip-side, he got them done enough to
work reliably and ship out over all these years.  Maybe there is some unix
scripting that could address that aspect to some degree...?

> One thing really worth investigating though is whether there are any
> lowercase variable names in those scenes - because those are very
> strongly non-recommended. William Pokorny might be able to help with
> that: If I understand correctly he has a version of the parser that
> warns on lowercase variables.

Very good point.

> Also, while it might be argued to keep the file formatting intact to
> reflect the wide variety in that respect, I'd really love to see at
> least the file headers standardized. Again, my personal opinion.

Following up on the above idea, maybe there's a tag in the comments that could
be used to help introduce some automation to the process?  So, just as an
off-the-top-of-the-head example, html has <header> <\header> and a script could
just replace everything in between.

> > Many files say something to the effect of
> > "Persistence Of Vision raytracer version 3.5 sample file."
> >
> > but then there is #version  3.7;
> >
> > update to make consistent?
>
> Another point worth discussing: Should it be the version in which the
> sample file was first introduced, the one in which it was last updated,
> the one that it now requires as minimum, or the one it will ship with
> (i.e. v3.8)?

Depending on the scene, put a file history?
/*
v 3.5
updated 1/2/03 by Joe Schmo for v 3.6
update 04/19/2018 by John Q. Public for v 3.7
min version required for proper usage: v 3.7
This file provided as part of the v 3.8 distribution package
*/

> > scenes/objects/ttf1.pov is ... heinous?
> > I'm guessing part of this project is to make them ... better?
>
> I would think so.

See attached.

> Oh, by the way: That particular scene should be called out for showing
> an outdated version number in the output image.

Yes,. It uses:
concat("Version:", str(version, 0, 1))
which is the version set in the scene, not a saved variable of the running
version.
Maybe it should display both?

> Team up and discuss. This is (or should be) as much your software
> package as it is mine.

Right-o.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: