POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : gamma issues 3.8 : Re: gamma issues 3.8 Server Time
18 Apr 2024 19:49:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: gamma issues 3.8
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 16 Jun 2021 16:20:00
Message: <web.60ca5c67490c1b141f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>

> What I'd really like to see is some esteemed members of the community
> sticking their heads together, looking through the sample scenes, and
> then deciding, on a case-by-case basis, how to proceed with the scene.

Certainly could do that, although AFAICR, there were a LOT of scenes in the
distribution...  IIRC, it's something like > 2600 files.

I'm not sure what the best way to attack this is, but if I were gonna play
Project Manager, I'd suggest that an outline was made by outputting a directory
tree, and then people with the artistic and technical eyes for detail could do a
quick sifting through the rendered scenes to tag the most egregious examples, or
using knowledge of the code features to pick out the ones that would need
editing due to deprecated keywords/syntax/code structure or other such things
that don't necessarily show themselves in the renders.

I certainly know that I find many posted renders to be really nice, while others
are instantly capable of spotting bad lighting, radiosity settings,
antialiasing, artefacts, and other flaws that I might overlook or completely be
oblivious to.  So having some clue as to what files to look at and WHY would
give people who are so inclined a head-start on where to begin.

> What really bugs me is that we've been dragging around outdated scenes
> because nobody BOTHERS to take the time and give them some love and
> care. Because it's easier to forget about it once again, and just go
> ahead with the next release cycle.

As you know, it's a huge struggle to juggle RL and the endless list of new
projects and bug-hunting, let alone sift through the archives of scenes hidden
in the depths of directories off in /usr/share/qtpovray-3.8/scenes/ or wherever
one might have them squirreled away.

What precious few regulars we have here do our best, but without direction and
specifics - or at least one good illustrative example - a lot of us would just
be left guessing about what to do.