POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : First image posting : Re: First image posting Server Time
23 Apr 2024 04:43:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: First image posting
From: Chris R
Date: 4 Jun 2021 16:25:00
Message: <web.60ba8b10f7d27fe2a4268365cc1b6e@news.povray.org>
"s.day" <s.d### [at] uelacuk> wrote:
> Some decent modelling, areas I would look at to improve are:
>
> Bricks look too uniform especially on the floor and garden wall.
> The join of the garden wall to the house looks odd, particularly on the left
> where it is well lit.
>
> Some of the textures need more work, particurarly on the floor, think of
> layering some dirt over the top and when doing that try to add dirt in realistic
> areas (darker in the corners/nearer the ground etc).
> I can't say exactly what it is but the lighting looks odd maybe better radiosity
> settings.
>
> The roof looks great and the modelling/texture on the bucket in the well is very
> good.
>
> I tend to always add focal blur (not that I have done much with Pov for a
> while).
>
> Sean

Thanks for the comments!

The garden wall is an isosurface that uses a brick pigment pattern to add the
individual blocks.  I had added turbulence to the brick pattern so the edges of
the blocks are uneven, but the limitation is that all of the blocks are
basically the same size and offset by 1/2.  I could redo it and randomly
generate blocks with a more complicated layout.

At one point I had added a sand layer to the floor of the well/garden area.  I
had tried to add some mossy coloring as well, but I didn't like how green
everything got, so I took it out and didn't go back again.  The blocks for the
floor could have more variability in size and shape as well.

I have only done a little work with radiosity, especially in outdoor scenes, so
I'm not surprised there may be issues.

I think if I were doing a view of this scene that was more zoomed in on one of
the elements I'd be more inclined to invest the time into adding focal blur.  As
an overview shot, if I were using my camera, I'd be using f6 or more, so I
didn't bother.  A closeup of the bucket dripping water would be a good time to
break out the f2.8 or f1.4 lens, though.