POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : First image posting : Re: First image posting Server Time
28 Mar 2024 13:37:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: First image posting
From: Leroy
Date: 8 May 2021 13:30:00
Message: <web.6096ca23f7d27fef78c0a28f712fc00@news.povray.org>

> > Yes, that is certainly true indeed. Try to find the balance.
> > Sometimes/often, stochastic anti-aliasing helps for the grainy distance
> > mess.
>
> Presumably, this is what all this "mip-mapping" business is about.   Has anyone
> ever tried to emulate that process, that we know of?

I have done "mip-mapping" but that was for Quake2 video game graphics, using POV
to make them. I might add badly. The trouble is selecting what to drop and what
to keep. When working on Quake2 the first mip is half the size of the main
texture and the next is half the size of first mip and so on. I guess that if
you wanted to use a mip type texture in POV that the texture would have to be
scaled up and simple-fided for the distance from the camera. A tough feat.

Have Fun!