POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Moray 3.5 and Pov-ray 3.5 both run on Windows 11 : Re: Moray 3.5 and Pov-ray 3.5 both run on Windows 11 Server Time
29 Mar 2024 11:59:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Moray 3.5 and Pov-ray 3.5 both run on Windows 11
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 5 Jun 2023 08:31:38
Message: <647dd5aa$1@news.povray.org>
Op 5-6-2023 om 09:42 schreef Kenneth:
>> In Moray, something which seems to work *every* time(? fingers crossed)
>> is using The "Export" option under the "Render" switch, alternatively
>> Ctrl+F9 . This bypasses the use of POV-Ray v3.5 and writes the INC, INI,
>> and POV group of files from the MDL scene to the POVScn folder. Do *not*
>> use the "Export" option under the "File" switch!!
>>
>> Hope this works for you too. It would solve the present conundrum.
>>

> [Kenneth wrote:]
>>
>> I need to try out the 'proper' combination of Moray and POV v3.5, to
>> see if that solves my 'export' problem.
>
> Just to follow up: The combination of POV-ray v3.5, Moray v3.5 and Windows 10
> shows some really weird and quirky behavior, some of which I discovered purely
> by chance.

Agreed.

> Assuming that the library paths are stated correctly in Moray's 'Render/Render
> Options' dialog box...
>
> 1) The only way I can get Moray and POV v3.5 to work consistently together is to
> start Moray first. After creating a scene there as an .mdl file, or loading one
> of the demo .mdl scenes, I can then hit 'Render/Raytrace' (or F9), which
> automatically starts POV 3.5 and renders the scene *in* POV. Great!  But this
> works only once: POV-ray needs to be shut down after each Moray-to-POV render.
> Otherwise, trying to re-render the Moray scene (or another one) while POV-ray is
> still up and running causes POV to hang. It has to be shut down...which then
> also causes Moray to hang.

Same here.

> But shutting down POV-ray after each render fixes that, and they both continue
> to work together.

Same here.

> 2) So far, trying to run POV v3.5 *by itself* in Windows 10 just doesn't work
> for me. It loads OK, but trying to render a scene causes it to hang. (Perhaps
> I'm not configuring it correctly?)

Same here.

> -------
> The biggest quirk has to do with trying to export the Moray scene as an SDL
> file-- for later rendering/editing-- by using Moray's 'Render'/'Export' button.
> It DOES work, and the SDL/.pov scene file does get written into Moray's POVscn
> folder-- but the Windows file explorer shows that folder to be empty! So does a
> file search. This is a really strange Windows problem that I have not
> encountered before--maybe a registry error due to Moray's very old code? The
> only way I can 'see' the contents of that folder is from within POV-ray v3.5
> (!), using the typical 'open file' menu. (The folder contents do NOT show up
> when running v3.8 or v3.7.) They also appear from within Moray itself.
> Otherwise, there seems to be no easy way to see or access those files... for me
> at least.

I should probably say "Same here" again, although /simple/ scenes
seem(?) to export correctly to the POVScn folder I defined. However,
more complex scenes (for instance, containing a mesh) only export a
header or nothing... So, not entirely reliable as I seemed to imply in
my previous post.

> The *workaround* is to open the exported SDL scene in POV-ray 3.5-- without
> rendering it there-- then simply copy/paste it into a NEW  external text file or
> ..pov file, then save it.

Yes, same here too.

> In effect, POV v3.5 is now just a temporary 'relay station' for getting the
> scene out of Moray and into a more modern version of POV-ray.

That is also my conclusion. Why POV-Ray v3.5 refuses to behave correctly
under Win10 (or Win11 for that matter) is a mystery to me. Otherwise,
Moray seems to work correctly under both platforms.

I don't know about you Kenneth, but I think I shall leave it at that
(other priorities are piling up). As always, It was a pleasure to do
this testing in cooperation with you!

I shall probably use Moray once in a while just for old time's sake, and
to not loose the feeling with it. I loved that program but it certainly
needs a serious upgrade, but that is an entirely different story.

cheers!

--
Thomas