POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Moray 3.5 and Pov-ray 3.5 both run on Windows 11 : Re: Moray 3.5 and Pov-ray 3.5 both run on Windows 11 Server Time
18 Apr 2024 18:36:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Moray 3.5 and Pov-ray 3.5 both run on Windows 11
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 28 May 2023 11:05:36
Message: <64736dc0$1@news.povray.org>
Op 27-5-2023 om 20:26 schreef Kenneth:

>> I have your answer about "exporting" to POV-Ray. Just click on the
>> "Raytrace" button or F9. If the communication between Moray and POV-Ray
>> v3.5 works correctly, this generates a POV scene file which then renders
>> the image in POV-Ray. The scene file can of course be saved as a .pov scene.
>>
>> Even if everything seems to fail - as in my case (but see: *) - the test
>> scene I had built in Moray was translated to POV-Ray code and stored in
>> its "POVscn" folder.
>>
>> * While writing this I just got the whole thing to work! :-)
>> Just a matter of correctly defining the folder destinations in Moray:
>> use Alt+F9 or click the "Render Options" button
>
> Yes, I see that Alt-F9 brings up the 'Render options' window. I didn't know
> about that.
>
> But I'm still having no luck exporting. *However*, I have not yet installed
> POV-ray v3.5. (just v3.8.0 beta 1).

It seems that the /special/ DLL provided by Moray to communicate with
POV-Ray, only works with version 3.5. When you have installed POV-Ray
v3.5 you can see at the top "GUI-Extensions" and within "Moray
Communications DLL" which is probably installed there I guess, the first
time you link both apps. Somehow, Moray is unable to link that DLL with
a more recent version of POV-Ray.

> It appears that I am doing exactly what you suggest, but no luck. In Moray's
> 'Render' menu, I have tried both F9 and Ctrl-F9, but nothing happens and no SDL
> file shows up in the "POVscn' folder.

It may be worthwhile to check the directory paths shown in the "Render
Options" and maybe adapt those to your particular wishes...

> I do understand that Moray only works 'in tandem' with v3.5 for *rendering*, so
> I was not expecting an actual render to occur; but I was hoping that I could at
> least export the scene as SDL, somehow.

I thought so too...

> My current trials are like this:
> I open one of Moray's included .mdl demo scenes, like 'Swan' (I've also tried
> 'Coffeecup'.) Then, without changing anything in the scene or menus, I try
> exporting with F9 or Ctrl-F9. Nothing. :-(  Of course, F9 is a RENDER button, so
> I was not surprised by the error message that showed up, "Cannot start POV-ray.
> Please start POV-ray manually and try again."

In my case, POV-Ray v3.5 just freezes, and I have to crash-close it...

> (BTW, in the 'Render options' window, I tried un-checking the 'Active Renderer'
> box-- but it refuses to be un-checked. As if that has any meaning for the
> problem!)

I am able to uncheck it but I don't know what is its use...

In any case, in most instances, either POV-Ray freezes, Moray cannot
make contact, or nothing happens. In rare cases, a miracle occurs and a
render is performed, typically with Moray files younger than about 2000.
When a render occurs, I am unable to repeat a second render. In any
case, I am unable to render any scene in POV-Ray v3.5 so there is much
not working as it should (Windows problems with older apps?)

> I am going to download POV v3.5, if it is still available on Github. I have the
> suspicion that it is required, even for the export of a file. Otherwise, I have
> no clue as to why the export feature is not working.

I am curious to learn your experiences.

--
Thomas