POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Playing with the mesh camera : Re: Playing with the mesh camera Server Time
28 Mar 2024 14:08:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Playing with the mesh camera
From: Josh English
Date: 20 May 2023 22:19:25
Message: <64697fad@news.povray.org>
On 5/20/2023 7:08 AM, Bald Eagle wrote:
> "Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>
>> Yep. In my own tests, I tried the same coloring attempt in meshcam_macros.inc,
>> at the end of the  #macro meshcam_pinhole(...) mesh-generator code.
>> But no result :-(  (I even tried adding an interior_texture, AND an
>> inside_vector). It was all ignored. I guess the mesh-as-CAMERA in the source
>> code is a different animal than a mesh OBJECT.
>
> If I read the documentation correctly, there is a normal direction, and an
> offset.  If you keep the normal direction the same, but change the offset so
> that the camera ray origin is behind the mesh instead of in front of it, does
> that achieve the desired result?
> I seem to recall something about being able to see the mesh used as the camera.

You can include the mesh in the file, and since the mesh_camera rays are
offset, the mesh will be seen. The demonstration has a vignette feature
that demonstrates this in action.

I made a few changes to the perspective code demo:

// common test subjects and scenario
#declare Room = union {
#include "demo_common.inc"
}

// create the camera with the generated or loaded mesh
camera{
   mesh_camera{ 2 0  // distribution 1 will do the job too in this case,
as all the meshes are the same
     mesh{camera_mesh
       meshcam_placement(c_location,c_look_at)
     }
     mesh{camera_mesh meshcam_placement(c_location, c_look_at) translate
28.5*x }
   }
   location <0,0,-.01> // look at the face slighty off along the normal
}

object { Room clipped_by { sphere { 0, 14 } } }
object { Room clipped_by { sphere { 0, 14 } } translate 28*x }
sphere { <0,0,0> 6 pigment { red 1 transmit 0.5} }
sphere { <28,0,0> 6 pigment { blue 1 green 1 transmit 0.5 } }

And this created a proof of concept below (completely wrong angles,
because I have no idea how to make one, and I don't know what it takes
to get a POV-Ray scene to even make one colorized version.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'meshcam_anaglyph_demo.png' (230 KB)

Preview of image 'meshcam_anaglyph_demo.png'
meshcam_anaglyph_demo.png