POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : lemon {} revisited : Re: lemon {} revisited Server Time
16 Apr 2024 19:07:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: lemon {} revisited
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 12 Mar 2023 11:54:57
Message: <640df5d1$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/12/23 10:30, Bald Eagle wrote:
> It's just the sign.  I was just wondering if the native implementation of the
> torus was "wrong", since I recall the uv-mapping being off compared to most
> other shapes.

You remember correctly. :-)

IIRC think we found the torus 'uv_mapping' reversed (handedness)
compared to all other uv mapping in POV-Ray. It was for a short time
corrected, but then restored to what it had been since v3.7 to maintain
compatibility with old scenes. IIRC povr stuck with the corrected uv
mapping - but that memory of mine might be wrong...

Aside: It's also true the new 'uv_mapping' added to additional shapes
for v3.8/v4.0 was turned back off for other general 'uv_mapping'
concerns. This is one place where our current v3.8 documentation does
not align with the real state of v3.8 - the last I checked. In pulling
back the newer 'uv_mapping' I 'think' povr  did too in the moment,
thinking a fix would soon be adopted - but that never happened and I
believe povr aligns with v3.8/v4.0.

Bill P.