POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Journey to an Unknown Region - revisited : Re: Journey to an Unknown Region - revisited Server Time
28 Mar 2024 19:44:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Journey to an Unknown Region - revisited
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 8 Feb 2023 02:33:01
Message: <63e3502d$1@news.povray.org>
Op 07/02/2023 om 19:35 schreef Bald Eagle:
> "Mr" <m******r******at_hotmail_dot_fr> wrote:
>
>> OMG ! you did it again, that's some terrific improvement, of course I for one
>> would love the code, but this would also be such a great addition to have an
>> "official" tutorial on that "sub-heightfield" technique on the wiki !
>> Thanks for not giving up on that inspiring old paused work !
>
> I would agree on all points, as I have a somewhat related project that uses
> bezier surfaces and the more I understand about this, the further along the
> learning curve I'll be for puzzling out possible analogous solutions.
>
> That's such a nice, simple scene that's come together _really_ well.
>
> And, I would say, that given the amount of effort that you've put into creating
> landscapes and the people and objects to give them scale and context - even a
> Bill Pokorny - style "thinking out loud" guide about how you start and work
> things out to the end would be of great value to a lot of people, and who knows
> what else you might come up with while describing your usual workflow.

Thank you indeed sir.

I have the intention to write a HowTo about this scene, especially as -
since 2009 - I have learned quite a lot of new tricks which I then
applied here. I am really thinking about a "Robert McGregor" kind of
explanation. I am sure it can indeed be of benefit to others, if not for
remembering myself on how to do certain things! I often have to reinvent
my own wheels... ;-/

Otherwise, I do much if not most by intuition and trial-and-error.
Especially the second half of the scene building process when the
essential elements are in place one way or another, are time-consuming.
It is this fine-tuning which consumes most of the time nowadays (in the
past I felt a kind of "urgency" which drove me on towards the end; not
always with best results I am afraid).

--
Thomas