POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Journey to an Unknown Region - revisited : Journey to an Unknown Region - revisited Server Time
24 Apr 2024 02:52:32 EDT (-0400)
  Journey to an Unknown Region - revisited
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 7 Feb 2023 04:11:11
Message: <63e215af@news.povray.org>
Hi,
Last December, looking for something else, I cam across my scene from 2009:

https://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C4b1bcc05%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=439213&toff=2250

At the time, Christian Froeshlin suggested towards the end of that
thread, to use a sub-heightfield to account for better details on the
foreground. He kindly provided code to achieve this. For some reason, I
never got around to get acquainted with the code and the project was put
on hold.

So, I started experimenting and I finally came up with two macros, one
for "pure" functions, and one for height_field map-based functions
(which need to be slightly cropped around the edges).

I applied this last macro to my scene, excluded the scattering of rocks
(I was not happy with those anyway), and took the opportunity to improve
several awkward coding aspects of the scene, in particular the textures.
The final result is this.

If somebody is interested, I can provide the macros of course.
--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'journey to an unknown region_2023_04.jpg' (279 KB)

Preview of image 'journey to an unknown region_2023_04.jpg'
journey to an unknown region_2023_04.jpg