POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Area Light Setup : Re: Area Light Setup Server Time
28 Mar 2024 09:47:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Area Light Setup
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 28 Jan 2023 11:59:34
Message: <63d55476$1@news.povray.org>
On 2023-01-27 10:24 (-4), Alain Martel wrote:
> Le 2023-01-26 à 14:40, Cousin Ricky a écrit :
>> On 2023-01-25 12:22 (-4), Alain Martel wrote:
>>>
>>> Any sampling array size between those values will be silently increased
>>> to the following size of the list. A 4 x 4 adaptive is really 5 x 5, 6 x
>>> 6 is promoted to 9 x 9 and 10 x 10 become 17 x 17.
>>
>> Not according to my tests.  The attached images were rendered with
>> area_illumination to reveal the internal array of lights.
>
> So, shining an area_light with adaptive AND area_illumination thru a
> small opening changes how adaptive work. Interesting.

There is no change in behavior.  The documentation reads:

  "For example area_light x,y,4,4 specifies a 4 by 4 array of lights. If
  you specify adaptive 3 it would mean that you should start with a 9 by
  9 array. In this case no adaptive sampling is done. The 4 by 4 array
  is used."

There is no mention of any increase in the array size, with or without
area_illumination.  Plus, I examined the source code, and I cannot find
anyplace where the array size is changed after being parsed.

> Did you try without area_illumination ?

The experiment does not work without area_illumination.  The scene file
uses an area light very close to the surface, and no shadows are involved.