POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Shallows II (2/3) : Re: The Shallows II (2/3) Server Time
28 Mar 2024 07:08:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Shallows II (2/3)
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 22 Nov 2022 08:34:28
Message: <637ccfe4$1@news.povray.org>
Op 22-11-2022 om 13:03 schreef Mr:
> =?UTF-8?Q?J=c3=b6rg_=22Yadgar=22_Bleimann?= <yaz### [at] gmxde> wrote:
>> Hi(gh)!
>>
>> On 21.11.22 16:53, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>>
>>> The concrete aggregate is not only a texture, but this texture was also
>>> processed and used as basis for displacement mapping in Poseray.
>>
>> I. e. not just an normal map? Wow!
>>
>> See you in Khyberspace!
>>
>> Yadgar
>
> Indeed this material really stands out !
>
> Do you think such a result could be achieved using HG POV displacement or
> isosurface displacement macros? If yes an include like you did for Granite would
> really be worth it, and if not, maybe a tutorial ?

Thank you!
Note that displacement mapping is done using .obj or mesh2 files as
input in Poseray. I really have no idea if HG POV can do this. However,
I guess that isosurfaces could do the job but probably would be much
slower (in render time) than the way through Poseray which generates a
"heavy" output .geom file but renders almost as fast as a non-displaced
object.

I gave some sort of tutorial last year:

https://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C60e02637%40news.povray.org%3E/

--