POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : trace() is unreliable on lathe : Re: trace() is unreliable on lathe Server Time
18 Apr 2024 21:44:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: trace() is unreliable on lathe
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 27 Apr 2022 17:56:41
Message: <6269bc19$1@news.povray.org>
On 2022-04-27 13:31 9-40, Kenneth wrote:

> As a more general question, is it necessary to trace the objects strictly along
> the x/y/z axes? In other words, would a random (OR ordered) series of trace
> operations-- originating from a 'sphere' outside the object and all directed
> toward <0,0,0> -- suit your purpose instead?

I propose to use numerical integration, which requires slices
perpendicular to the y axis.

> Although, I suppose any indents in
> the shapes would present a problem with that scheme.

I intend to restrict the domain to objects that can be described with a
function in y; that is, with the same restrictions as the sor primitive.
 (Which means the last 4 objects in each image would be rejected as
valid inputs.)