POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Behavior of bounded_by : Re: Behavior of bounded_by Server Time
18 Apr 2024 23:51:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Behavior of bounded_by
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 18 Apr 2022 09:59:20
Message: <625d6eb8$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/18/22 07:01, m@b wrote:
> I made this leaf spring using segments of a rounded tube.
>
> It looks fine when viewed straight-on but assumes a funny angle at the
> ends when viewed from the side.
>
> What is going on?

I've not tested it, but try adding:

clipped_by { bounded_by }

after each bounded_by{} statement.

Or, as Cousin Ricky recently suggested, in place of manual bounding
create each spring leaf as an intersection of a 'bounding box' with each
rounded tube.

---
Bounding - whether added manually or automatically - is only used to
determine whether the real 'ray -> shape/surface' intersection code for
the basic shape is run(a). In other words, ray -> surface intersections
'can be' outside the bounding.

Bill P.

(a) - Yes, with manual bounding you can intentionally set up visual
effects depending on how rays interact with the bounded_by shape(s). For
example, the bounded_by shape(s) need not surround the actual
shape/surface at all(b).

(b) - In official releases, manually playing with bounding is limited as
there is code which prevents users from making bounding smaller by
volume... In the povr fork that code is completely gone - IIRC. I think
it wrong for POV-Ray to secretly ignore user bounding (some auto
bounding too IIRC) based on a 'bounding volume can never be smaller than
what already exists' test. Yes, users might screw things up more often -
let 'em.