POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Ideas. Updated f_wood(). povr branch. : Re: Ideas. Updated f_wood(). povr branch. Server Time
28 Mar 2024 09:25:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ideas. Updated f_wood(). povr branch.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 14 Sep 2021 09:40:58
Message: <6140a66a$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/13/21 7:21 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:
> This is very cool.   I experimented a bit with the marble pattern to try to get
> a more irregular spacing of the veins and a variation in the width.  I'll have
> to get back to that once things IRL settle down a bit.

Thanks. Though called f_wood() it can be used with any gradient and so a
marble if you want.

As you probably know, the marble pattern is just a gradient in x where
the x position is jostled about by values from calls to Turbulence()(1)

(1) - Which has the distribution drift issue, if not using povr or other
branches where this is fixed.

> Is it possible to implement this as a function in plain-vanilla SDL, or does it
> require some "special sauce"?

:-) It needs to be inbuilt is the practical answer.

Could you do it in SDL for perhaps patterns only or ,perhaps, as a way
to pre-bake image maps for later use? Likely yes - but I've not done it.

The whole approach is more expensive than today's wood - especially
where the random values for the offsets fit a normal distribution. I
wanted to be able to use it on the fly and with isosurfaces - and for
that use - inbuilt is the only practical approach I think.

Bill P.