POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Re: Granite_21 - the final macro : Re: Granite_21 - the final macro Server Time
29 Mar 2024 06:35:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Granite_21 - the final macro
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 12 Sep 2021 12:32:57
Message: <613e2bb9$1@news.povray.org>
On 2021-09-11 6:09 PM (-4), Samuel B. wrote:

> And there's an area near a river which I suspect might be harboring corundum. In
> that place you can find marble outcrops above an area with granite pegmatite (I
> might have found a green beryl there as a kid but it's been lost). Since I
> figured corundum is sometimes found in marble, and considering the prevalence of
> aluminum in the area (micas, soap stone, etc.), I thought that maybe rubies and
> whatnot could be possible as well.

I was in a jewelry store a few years ago, and saw gems labeled "red
sapphire."  I'm no geologist, so I asked the sales clerk what's the
difference between red sapphire and ruby.  She responded only that ruby
and sapphire are two different gems.  Probing further, I learned that
she didn't realize that ruby and sapphire are both forms of the same
mineral.

So I'm wondering, is it common for retail jewelers not to know the
mineralogy behind the stones they are selling?  Or did she know just
enough to sell them?

(I once ran across the same problem when I attempted to buy a computer
from a locally-owned shop, instead of a big box.  The proprietor most
certainly knew more about computers than your average big box geek, but
his sales clerk knew nothing beyond sales lit talking points.)