POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Questions about photons : Re: Questions about photons Server Time
16 Apr 2024 03:50:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Questions about photons
From: kurtz le pirate
Date: 11 Sep 2021 03:00:12
Message: <613c53fc$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/09/2021 01:38, Alain Martel wrote:

> In that scene, only the first mirror should be set as target. If there
> is a second target object in a location where no photon can reach it,
> then, the photons destined for that extra target are lost.
> If you have two target, one behind the other, and even if the first
> target object is fully transparent, then, that first object will
> intercept and block all the photons shot at the second object.

Each  mirror as this settings :
photons { target refraction off reflection on collect off }

> Also, does the projector object restrict the beam ? That's another thing
> that may cut down the number of photons shot.

No, the light source for the beam is out of the "projector".

> Also, if you have a second light, each light will attempt to shot it's
> half of the requested photons. Any light_source that you don't want to
> shot photons absolutely need this photon block :
> photons{reflection off refraction off}

I have an other light source. Kind of "global illumination" for the
scene. for her  setting is :
photons { refraction off reflection off } media_interaction off

> ALL light_source except the shadowless ones have this default photons
> block :
> photons{reflection on refraction on}
Yes, there is only one light source for the laser with
    photons { refraction on reflection on }

> For the dimer part, it's probably related to the media used. Looks like
> you used type 5 with a negative eccentricity, probably between -0.25 and
> -0.5. Try using an isotropic scattering media.
> Try using type 1 (isotropic) or 4 (Rayleigh).

The global media is defined like this :
box {
  <32, 0, -1>, < -1, 6, 32> // 28>
  hollow