POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Blurring pigments by distance from camera : Re: Blurring pigments by distance from camera Server Time
18 Apr 2024 13:09:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blurring pigments by distance from camera
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 26 Jul 2021 07:43:09
Message: <60fe9fcd$1@news.povray.org>

https://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/message/%3C60d8e6ba%241%40news.povray.org%3E

> - that my gaussian blur macros could be modified to blur a pigment so that the
> amount of blurring increases along with the distance from the camera.
>
> Since then I have been pondering whether that is possible.
>
> Now I have found a way to do something like that by using my gaussian blur
> library and some new code.
>
> The attached image shows the result. Here a union of many boxes is textured with
> a single blurred version of a grid-like pigment. I'll also post an image with a
> non blurred version of the same pigment.
>
> To test my code further it would be nice if someone could provide me with a
> simple sample scene where this might be useful.

Maybe it is the grid pattern, but I am not entirely convinced. The more
blurred patterns in the background seem at first glance to be 'larger'
than the non blurred ones in the foreground, which is not the intention
of course. The idea however, is particularly interesting. By
blurred-with-distance I would perhaps understand more a 'simplification'
of the pattern rather than a 'blurring' like this. I don't know how to
express this correctly. You are probably on the right track though, but
it needs more thinking (at least for me).

--
Thomas