POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Beach Scene : Re: Beach Scene Server Time
17 Apr 2024 22:31:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beach Scene
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 16 Jul 2021 09:12:38
Message: <60f185c6$1@news.povray.org>
Op 15-7-2021 om 16:46 schreef Chris R:
> I have been working on this for a few weeks and am about ready to move on, so I
> thought I'd share it with the community.  The comments I receive usually end up
> in future projects.
>
> This is based on a photo of the back side of a row of colorful beach huts.  In
> the original, all of the huts looked like they had been freshly sided and
> painted, which wasn't terribly interesting to me, so I decided to age them quite
> a bit so I could continue working on my raw-wood textures and aging paint
> textures.
>
> The shingles were another new area for me to play with.  I have done tiled roofs
> before, but this is my first attempt at a tar-shingled roof.
>
> The foundation posts have a layer of sand on the lee-side; you can sort of see
> it in this view.  I have other test views with closeups that look pretty good as
> well.
>
> I'm pretty happy with the sandy beach and the random stones.  I thought about
> adding some seashells to the mix, but haven't done that yet.
>
> Thanks ahead of time for any comments and suggestions for improvements.
>
> -- Chris R

Very nice work indeed.

I wouldn't be me if I did not have a couple of comments:

I feel the sand to be a bit too 'concrete-like' ;-) You can without
problems drastically increase the normal (granite?) on that, to have
better defined sand grains.

The beach itself would be improved with sharp edges due to wind
rippling, dune forming.

The pebbles are superfluous imo and look somewhat 'uncomfortable' on
this surface. A proper sand beach will not really show pebbles; a pebble
beach however, could show sand ripples across it.

I like your peeling paint. Well done.

that dark spot Bill mentioned: a plane? an ufo? ;-)

--
Thomas