POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : POV-Ray v3.8.0-beta.1 : Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-beta.1 Server Time
29 Mar 2024 05:39:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-beta.1
From: clipka
Date: 11 Jul 2021 13:15:24
Message: <60eb272c$1@news.povray.org>
Am 11.07.2021 um 18:53 schrieb jr:

> downloaded the 'povunix' as recommended, was surprised the archive unpacks in
> the cwd rather than in a sub-directory.

If you can help wrangling the `tar` and/or `gzip` command to rectify
that, I'd appreciate it.

We're currently using the following sequence of commands to bundle the
files we want:

tarfile="povunix-v${POV_RAY_FULL_VERSION}.tar"
# Bundle relevant portions of the original source tree, making sure
# to exclude interim products placed there by the prebuild process.
tar -chWf "${tarfile}"          \
   --anchored                    \
   --exclude="*Makefile.am"      \
   --exclude="unix/prebuild*"    \
   --exclude="unix/scripts*"     \
   --exclude="platform/windows"  \
   --exclude="vfe/win"           \
   doc platform source unix vfe  \
   LICENSE README.md changes.txt revision.txt
# Add everything created by the prebuild process, except for some
# interim products created by the prebuild process.
# (Note that some files may have already been added by the previous
# command, so we're using `-u` instead of `-r` to avoid duplicates.)
tar -uhWf "${tarfile}"          \
   --anchored                    \
   --exclude="*Makefile.am"      \
   --exclude="configure.ac"      \
   --exclude="bootstrap"         \
   ${prebuild_made}
# Compress bundle into proper tarball
gzip "${tarfile}"

where `prebuild_made` is a list of files detected as having been created
by `unix/prebuild.sh`.

> (in which scenario is building from "Source code (tar.gz)" still preferred?)

In the one where you're building for a non-Unix platform but have a ZIP
file format phobia, I guess.

The "Source code (tar.gz)" and "Source code (zip)" assets are added
automatically by GitHub, whether we want it to or not.