POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : gamma issues 3.8 : Re: gamma issues 3.8 Server Time
28 Mar 2024 18:04:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: gamma issues 3.8
From: clipka
Date: 17 Jun 2021 03:16:47
Message: <60caf6df$1@news.povray.org>
Am 17.06.2021 um 03:44 schrieb Bald Eagle:

>> I've thrown together something using GitHub Wiki on our repo; please
>> have a look at https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/wiki/Scene-Files-Review
>> to see whether that might be a useful tool to manage this task, and how
>> you think it could be improved.
>
> Do you sell phials of the potion that allows you to do the work of 10 people in
> mere minutes?

If you're talking about the list of scenes, that's just the miracle of
Unix command-line tools (on a Windows machine no less) to get a raw
list, and a text editor with good find/replace to bring it into the
GitHub Markdown format.

The real work only starts from there: What do we even _do_ with this list?

> Are there any guidelines that we're following with regard to file formatting?
> Indentation - tabs, spaces, doesn't matter...

Well... there's some topic for discussion for you.

Me, personally, I would LOVE to see consistent formatting throughout all
the sample scenes. Preferably MY own favorite style of course. (The
style used in the "Insert Menu" sample snippets, for instance, is an
abomination. No offense, Friedrich.)

One thing really worth investigating though is whether there are any
lowercase variable names in those scenes - because those are very
strongly non-recommended. William Pokorny might be able to help with
that: If I understand correctly he has a version of the parser that
warns on lowercase variables.

Also, while it might be argued to keep the file formatting intact to
reflect the wide variety in that respect, I'd really love to see at
least the file headers standardized. Again, my personal opinion.

> Many files say something to the effect of
> "Persistence Of Vision raytracer version 3.5 sample file."
>
> but then there is #version  3.7;
>
> update to make consistent?

Another point worth discussing: Should it be the version in which the
sample file was first introduced, the one in which it was last updated,
the one that it now requires as minimum, or the one it will ship with
(i.e. v3.8)?

> scenes/objects/ttf1.pov is ... heinous?
> I'm guessing part of this project is to make them ... better?

I would think so.
Oh, by the way: That particular scene should be called out for showing
an outdated version number in the output image.

> fonts/typefaces that are shipped are:
> crystal.ttf
> cyrvetic.ttf
> povlogo.ttf
> timrom.ttf
>
> I recall you recently calling out timrom - are we deprecating its usage until we
> find something better?  (I like the seriffage of jsMath-cmmi10.ttf and
> jsMath-cmti10.ttf)

Unfortunately we're stuck with whatever fonts will ship with POV-Ray
v3.8.0. Removing any of the fonts from the list is a no-go for
compatibility reasons, and adding any other fonts means starting a
non-trivial endeavor of selecting fonts based on (a) artistic quality,
(b) technical quality, (c) size, (d) set of characters covered, (e)
licensing issues, and presumably (f) then some.

The font that really got under my skin was cyrvetic.ttf. But if we stick
to ASCII, the fonts are useful. Though arguably not the prettiest.

> Inquiring minds want to know!  :)

Team up and discuss. This is (or should be) as much your software
package as it is mine.