POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.programming : An updated povr tarball for Unix/Linux. 1984d6ea : Re: An updated povr tarball for Unix/Linux. 1984d6ea Server Time
25 Apr 2024 12:45:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An updated povr tarball for Unix/Linux. 1984d6ea
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 12 Jun 2021 11:48:11
Message: <60c4d73b$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/9/21 11:46 AM, jr wrote:
> hi,
>
> William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>> Yep, rtr is cool and I hope use it (or similar) for more than demos -
>> eventually.
>> Just need to work out how to capture each rendered frame to an image file...
>
> may be 'xwd' (and 'xwud') can help?  not sure how you'd automate the syncing
> though.

Yeah, maybe. A long while back now, I did play a little with xwd - stand
alone just snapping a paused preview window. Hit some issue that looked
to be related to quantization or a shift of color values. I could not
quickly sort it and I dropped the work - work that's been on the floor a
long while now. In truth it's 'play' down my list at the moment -
though(1) ;-).

I 'believe' in rtr much of the work needed to create an output image is
still done for each frame, perhaps I just need to figure out how to
pause and trigger a write to unique output files. Oh, and some way to
run through all the cameras only once I guess.

Bill P.

(1) - Banging around my head of late is the idea that with functions we
can perhaps create a collection of inbuilts that query generic
environmental information and return a 'change-this' result(1a) which
could be used during the render of each frame. With >= v3.8 we have
stuff like user_defined cameras, pigments and densities(media)... We
have longer had stuff like isosurfaces, parametrics. Supposing such a
collection of inbuilt functions, might we be able to change quite a lot
more stuff frame to frame in rtr? Arbitrarily fly about a scene with a
couple user defined camera definitions which are no longer static?

(1a) - Expect too might need f_delay, f_pause_resume like inbuilt
functions rather than just functions that might query the state of
values in some file say. Guess f_delay might be useful all by itself.