POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : An experiment in monochrome : Re: An experiment in monochrome Server Time
18 Apr 2024 02:30:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An experiment in monochrome
From: m@b
Date: 10 Jun 2021 08:28:04
Message: <60c20554@news.povray.org>
On 10/06/2021 2:25 am, Bald Eagle wrote:
> Hi Matt,

> This is clever!  I like it.  :)

Thanks.

................ snip

>> (I am not sure where this function came from - I used it many years ago
>> in another project.)
>
> I see in your posted code that you comment that "map_type 0" is required - but
> the docs say that this is the default planar mapping, so maybe it's not actually
> a requirement?
.
You are right - it is the default, perhaps it was a requirement 20 years
ago when I last played with POV-Ray

> I had this bouncing around in my head today,  and maybe it would be faster to
> make some pigment patterns and use a pigment map instead of sphere primitives.

But I would need some primitives to put the pattern on?

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.5a7774f01a0c102c5cafe28e0%40news.povray.org%3E/

> You could even just make a single linear pattern and the others would just be
> rotations or scales of it. (have the line thickness be dependent on the color
> channel value)
>
> The other thing I was thinking was that you might also be able to get an outline
> or shape-following effect if you calculated not only the value of any given
> pixel, but the gradient of the function there as well.  Then you could make the
> lines perpendicular to the gradient / tangent to the curve.
>
> I know TOK wrote the gradient functions in the distributed include files, and
> there are edge-finding algorithms that give you the gradient of the image as a
> bonus.

Hmm - I need to think about these things. Interesting suggestions.