POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Request for Comments: Quadratic Bezier Splines : Re: Request for Comments: Quadratic Bezier Splines Server Time
24 Apr 2024 01:46:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Request for Comments: Quadratic Bezier Splines
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 8 Jun 2021 15:32:32
Message: <60bfc5d0$1@news.povray.org>
On 2021-06-08 4:41 AM (-4), Mr wrote:

>> For certain technical reasons, I may need to add support for _quadratic_
>> Bezier splines at the render engine level as well, but it would be a
>> waste to not expose them to the scene description language (and, while
>> I'm at it, possibly also extend `lathe` accordingly).
>>
>> An open question is, what keyword should be used for this type of spline?
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Here are some ideas:
>>
>> - `quadratic_bezier_spline`, being the most accurate term.
>>
>> - `conic_bezier_spline`, being a bit shorter.
>>
>> - `conic_spline`, being yet shorter.
>>
>> - `bezier2_spline`, the "2" referring to the polynomial order.
>
> Well, Probably the least technical thought ever, but I find names like
> something2  something3 rather drafty looking. Even mesh2 doesn't look like the
> "goto" syntax it should be; it just makes it look secondary to me. Also because
> without any space or underscore makes it look like a backend programer's stuff
> not eyepleasing user API level... In many software the  word b_spline
> ("B-Spline") seems quite conventional to talk about bezier spline if less
> verbosity is needed, maybe that could provide inspiration for more options?

B-splines, though mathematically related to Bezier splines, are a
completely different animal, and the b_spline keyword is already used
elsewhere in POV-Ray for... B-splines.  To repurpose it for quadratic
Bezier prisms would be confusing on more than one level.

Maybe the keyword "mesh2" is hackish, but for a 2nd degree polynomial,
appending a "2" to "bezier" would be totally appropriate.