POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.8.0-x.freetype.4 : Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-x.freetype.4 Server Time
20 Apr 2024 04:27:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-x.freetype.4
From: Ash Holsenback
Date: 8 Jun 2021 14:48:04
Message: <60bfbb64$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/7/21 10:22 AM, clipka wrote:
> This is pretty much the same as the alpha just published, but with the
> new `text` handling.
>

> https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/releases/tag/v3.8.0-x.freetype.4
>
> Differences to the Alpha:
>
> - `text` now supports TrueType-, PostScript- amd OpenType fonts. For
> now, the syntax remains unchanged, including the `ttf` keyword; the font
> format is detected automagically.
>
> - Fonts installed in the system can be accessed directly by replacing
> `ttf FILENAME` with `sys FONTNAME`, optionally followed by `bold` and/or
> `talic`; e.g. `text { sys "Arial" bold ... }`. (Windows version only for
> now)
>
> - `text` objects now render a bit faster.
>
> Known caveats:
>
> - Glyph positions may be slightly different. This is not a bug but a
> feature, as the old code's glyph positioning algorithm wasn't quite right.
>
> - Needs FreeType 2 on Unix, otherwise `text` primitive will be disabled
> entirely. (Comes bundled with FreeType 2 source code for Windows builds.)
>
> - The `internal NUMBER` mechanism for accessing fonts is currently
> restricted to the `timrom.ttf` font.
>

> Differences to `v3.8.0-x.freetype.3`:
>
> - `text` object performance restored, and even improved. (Turns out the
> previous versions wasted time rendering whitespace, of all things.)
>
> - Based on latest Alpha.
>

> Have fun testing!

checking whether to use the FreeType library... yes
checking for pkg-config... (cached) pkg-config
checking for FreeType's include path... -I/usr/include/freetype2
checking for library containing FT_Init_FreeType... -lfreetype
checking ft2build.h usability... yes
checking ft2build.h presence... yes
checking for ft2build.h... yes
checking for libfreetype version >= 2.4.0... 2.10.1, ok

that last version check seems odd... i'm at 2.10.1 but it passed, and
built properly. no testing yet... time for an espresso