POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Request for Comments: Quadratic Bezier Splines : Re: Request for Comments: Quadratic Bezier Splines Server Time
29 Mar 2024 09:37:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Request for Comments: Quadratic Bezier Splines
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 7 Jun 2021 08:33:55
Message: <60be1233$1@news.povray.org>
On 2021-06-06 5:52 PM (-4), clipka wrote:

> For certain technical reasons, I may need to add support for _quadratic_
> Bezier splines at the render engine level as well, but it would be a
> waste to not expose them to the scene description language (and, while
> I'm at it, possibly also extend `lathe` accordingly).
>
> An open question is, what keyword should be used for this type of spline?

> - `quadratic_spline` is already in use for some quirky flavor of
> quadratic spline that, in my mind, doesn't even deserve to live, [snip]

I'm inclined to agree with you there.  And I will speculate that Bald
Eagle also agrees.

> Here are some ideas:
>
> - `quadratic_bezier_spline`, being the most accurate term.
>
> - `conic_bezier_spline`, being a bit shorter.
>
> - `conic_spline`, being yet shorter.
>
> - `bezier2_spline`, the "2" referring to the polynomial order.

For what it's worth, when I implemented the quadratic Bezier sphere
sweep in the Object Collection, I used the name SSWP_BEZIER2_SPLINE to
select that spline type.  So of course I'm biased in favor of the last
option.