POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Request for Comments: Quadratic Bezier Splines : Re: Request for Comments: Quadratic Bezier Splines Server Time
25 Apr 2024 07:33:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Request for Comments: Quadratic Bezier Splines
From: clipka
Date: 6 Jun 2021 20:24:23
Message: <60bd6737$1@news.povray.org>
Am 07.06.2021 um 00:40 schrieb Bald Eagle:

> used in fonts/typfaces and svg representations of glyphs.  Cousin Ricky was nice
> enough to provide me with an early release of his sphere sweep macro that allows
> QBS.
>

> degree.
>
> So, you may not have to code a whole separate section for QBS - just write an
> algorithm to degree-elevate a QBS to a cubic.  I have my SDL version that you
> can have to adapt into suitable c++ source code.

As a matter of fact, fonts is exactly the topic I'm implementing this
for in the first place, because I'm working on throwing out our
dedicated `text` shape rendering code and replacing it with `prism`
under the hood.

And yes, so far I have been using degree-elevation to map conic outlines
to cubic ones as already supported by `prism`.

But this turns out to come at the cost of slower render times, and I
have a hunch that's because TrueType fonts exclusively use conic (or
linear) outline segments, so by adding native support for conic bezier
outlines I hope to regain some of the lost performance.