POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : Granite_21 macro - beta #1.4 : Re: Granite_21 macro - beta #1.5 Server Time
28 Mar 2024 07:05:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Granite_21 macro - beta #1.5
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 5 Jun 2021 02:39:53
Message: <60bb1c39$1@news.povray.org>
Op 04/06/2021 om 22:08 schreef Bald Eagle:

>> That is an interesting idea... we should certainly follow up that line
>> to see where it would get us.
>
> We should - but I never really dug into that really great project deeply enough
> to understand exactly how it all works.  Maybe it's time.

I have to dig up my old Geomorph code (2004-2005) in which I used
patterns (including crackle) in different functions to build isosurface
landscapes. It might inspire...

>>> I mean, even for now, we could probably just add some gentle black hole warps or
>>> other warps to the basic granite pattern and introduce a little bit of
>>> variation.  I'm bad at implementing warps, but maybe the quartz veins could
>>> benefit from some clever application of them.
>>>
>> Maybe. I am not sure what the black hole warp would really add to the
>> turbulence warp already in place. Granites are not very turbulent by
>> themselves and rather monotonous in fact.
>
> They are, but you have those other patterns which have some size variation.  It
> might be nice to have some of that in the pattern as an option.  I'm only
> throwing it out there so we can play with it and either decide it has promise -
> or discard it as "nope - not a good idea".

I fully agree.

>> Well, it appears we shall not have time to get bored or idle. ;-)
>
> Always so much to do.   Never enough time, energy, or opportunity.   Better that
> than being idle and boring.
>

>> In the meantime, I have started to write that piece of documentation you
>> asked about. Steadily growing.
>
> Thanks  :)
>

> Find attached a quick exploratory crackle experiment.  The sum of 2 crackle
> patterns of different scales, one with turbulence, then the whole thing with
> some turbulence.

Interesting result indeed. The "cells" are not looking "natural" enough
to my taste, but with enough tweaking...

It shows, imo, how we have to be careful with the amount of turbulence.

--
Thomas