POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Granites Intermezzo : Re: Granites Intermezzo Server Time
23 Apr 2024 17:43:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Granites Intermezzo
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 4 May 2021 03:01:00
Message: <6090f12c$1@news.povray.org>
Op 03/05/2021 om 19:21 schreef Bald Eagle:
>> For your judgment again.
>
> This is pretty spectacular, as was the prior ovus example.
>
> I think what Maurice is trying to point out is the "frosted" look of the blurred
> pattern.
> I think the earlier prototype StepNoise example was more impressive than the
> current iteration.
Both are necessary. The blended version is the weathered granite look,
the crisp version is the fresh granite look.

> And I'm not sure why you chose to do several experiments with start and end both
> equal to 0.5 - as that is just the cells pattern.

No secret there: just for convenience while testing the omega, lambda
and octaves. The top row of the experiment shows start and end
variations both. I guess that more differences would be shown with a
"simpler" colour_map? Not sure about this. I want to investigate a bit
further.

> But I must say that I really like this frosted look for an outdoor, weathered
> piece of natural stone, as this is really what it looks like, with dust, and
> evaporated rain, and pollen, etc.  Adding that displacement or normal really
> gives it that natural look as well.

I guess this is almost as close as you can get to a believable granite.

> I think Maurice is looking for that lack of micro-surface texture that leads to
> a lot of air - which has a different ior than the minerals and leads to that dry
> paper / freshly applied transparent tape look.  Polishing, wetting, and waxing
> gives it that sharp, crisp, high-contrast look with more saturated colors and
> clearer delineations between the grains.
>
> At least that's what I'm speculating.

Maybe. I am not sure yet about what he means.

> However, all in all, this is very pleasing, and extremely encouraging progress!

Absolutely.

--
Thomas