POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Granites Intermezzo : Re: Granites Intermezzo Server Time
19 Apr 2024 20:37:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Granites Intermezzo
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 4 May 2021 02:49:28
Message: <6090ee78$1@news.povray.org>
A few more comments:

Op 03/05/2021 om 17:10 schreef Mr:
>> Finally, using a blending technique developed by Tekno Frannansa, The
>> attached granite, based on the latest preceding one, looks also the most
>> natural!
>>
>> --
>> Thomas
>
> Hi! I could imagine it for an outdoor landscape. But for other closer framed
> use, I presently can't say that I prefer it over the other results so far:

Yes. Please note that the "blended" cells texture /is/ for the
weathered, outdoor, aspect of any granitic rock you may come across. The
"fresh" look is when such a boulder is broken. For granitic landscapes,
this texture /as is/ would not be convenient and a much simpler one
should replace it, for instance something based on one of those
landscape textures created by Jaime Vives Piqueres.

Anyway, a combination of "weathered" and "fresh" is shown in my image
GraniteTest.jpg, posted a bit earlier.

> Something still feels "blurry" about it. Sorry to be that vague. I still believe
> it could be due to something default in the specular component / or maybe the
> camera has aperture? / or there is just no normal bump distortion at all which
> could suffice to lead to this perceived lack  of contrast?

Nothing of the sort I believe. The camera is a standard one (no
aperture) but the environment is just a white featureless space. Maybe
that is causing your "lack of contrast"?

As for the finish, the following is used (based on code provided by Ive):

//start code---------------------------------------------
   #macro Dull_Highlights()
     specular 0.05
     roughness 0.1
   #end

       finish {	//frosted version
         diffuse albedo 0.6 brilliance 1.5
         Dull_Highlights() // a small amount of highlights for realism
       }

> At this stage, to properly evaluate the patterns, a close up 1000+ px side
> render from less than 1 meter distance and more than 10 cm area visible carrying
> your graduated floor now really seems absolutely necessary to see anything.

I shall render a 2048x2048 px "fresh" granite image today. Don't be
surprised: it is not really believable any more as a granite, but it may
generate comments towards a better code, and that is ultimately, the
purpose of this exercise.

--
Thomas