POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Granites Intermezzo : Re: Granites Intermezzo Server Time
20 Apr 2024 08:35:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Granites Intermezzo
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 29 Apr 2021 11:25:15
Message: <608acfdb$1@news.povray.org>
alright. Getting tired after a day of tweaking.

Second, overhauled, StepNoise version. Several things learned:

- to be careful with the /scale/ of the grains. This is as good as I
dare to go. Larger minerals become increasingly unbelievable, so one
needs to find the balance (as with the turbulated cells obviously, but
StepNoise does a much better, although not perfect, job).

- the mask for the pigment_pattern needs a /very/ careful adjustment.
The present one is good but could probably be improved further. Good
enough for now.

- white grains are present but hardly visible. In the first version they
were placed at the wrong place within the colour_map, rendering rings
instead of mineral grains. Corrected that but need now to be enhanced a bit.

- sslt would probably increase realism, even in the frosted version. I
am going to look into that.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'dakotagrains_sn_test2.jpg' (95 KB)

Preview of image 'dakotagrains_sn_test2.jpg'
dakotagrains_sn_test2.jpg